Foxton 2-1 Eaton Socon

After a week off, Foxton were back in action with their first home fixture for over a month, against high flying Eaton Socon, who they had lost to earlier in the season.

Foxton started brightly and were soon in the lead, when on 3 minutes, Justin Leavers, excellently volleyed first time into the top corner from the edge of the box, after Evers had picked him out with a cross.

Socon nearly hit straight back, when an innocuous looking free kick somehow hit the cross bar, but fell nicely for Brad.

Despite this, Foxton were comfortably the better side and were putting the visitors under plenty of pressure. The lead should have doubled on about 15 minutes when Foxton were awarded a penalty after a foul in the box. Justin stepped up but his kick was saved by the visiting keeper.

Foxton were keeping the pressure on and they eventually got their second goal, when Eliot Keating smashed home from 25 yards, as he latched on to Ada’s cushioned header for him.

Foxton were in rampant form but couldn’t make it pay and were missing some good chances to extend the lead further. Justin, was unlucky as he saw a left footed effort from close range following a scramble miss, and then, he also had another effort saved from close range, following another Ever’s cross.

Elliot then looked destined to score when racing through goal after leaving his marker in knots on the floor, but somehow, managed to lose control of the ball at the last minute.

2-0 HT

The second half got underway and was a more even affair. Both sides were being competitive and Socon looked like they were responding to half time b*****king. However, they still were unable to get much out of the Foxton back line, marshalled brilliantly by captain Rob Gwynne.

Socon did pull a goal back however, with their big centre back heading home from a corner.

Somewhere around this time, the Socon keeper managed to get himself sent off, I’m not sure exactly what happened but I believe it was for for throwing some nasty language to a spectator?

Despite now being a man to the good, Foxton weren’t capitalising on this and were finding themselves defending far too much as Socon were throwing bodies forward, looking for an equaliser. But on this occasion, it seemed whatever was thrown at them, Foxton’s defence were able to deal with it.

At the other end, Justin had a chance when he met Liam’s cross at the back post, but his header went safely into the keepers arms.

Final score 2-1

MOM…. Rob Gwynne.