Bassingbourn 2 (9-8 pens) 2 Foxton

Foxton were finally back in action on Saturday after five weeks without a game, with an away cup tie to Senior B side Bassingbourn.

Bassingbourn started the game the better of the two teams and missed a good early chance when their pacy forward went through one on one, but Fraser kept it all square, saving well with his feet. Foxton were struggling to get in any momentum on the attacking front and too often gave away possession or frustratingly found touch.

The home side stayed on top and took a deserved lead on 28 minutes when former Foxton player Stuart Cooke headed his side into the lead from a Bass corner.

Foxton nearly equalised immediately when Eliot Keating’s direct free kick came back off the cross bar. However, it was probably against the run of play when they did actually equalise, just before half time, when Justin’s header from a Skeggs cross was parried by the home keeper into the path of Eliot knight, who scored from close range.

As the second half got underway, this time it was Foxton who had the upper hand, keeping Bass pegged back in their own half. However, the Bassingbourn defence were dealing with everything thrown at them, with their team working hard together to stay level.

Foxton then finally took a deserved lead when substitute Jake Williams scored with a good right footed finish, from a Liam Moir cross.

Foxton nearly extended their lead when Ada drove a shot goal bound, but just as it looked like it was going to nestle into the net, the home keeper pulled off a great save tipping it round the post.
The home team hadn’t dropped their heads however, and they kept plugging away, knowing they were still in the tie and with the quick lad up front it’s fair to say they could always be a threat.

This proved to be the case, as heading into the last five minutes, a mistake in the Foxton back line gifted him a chance and he finished well to make the score 2-2. Then, they almost won it in normal time, when in the dying seconds, Foxton had Fraser to thank once again when he made a good save from a similar chance.

The game ended 2-2, which was probably a fair outcome on the balance of play over the 90 minutes.

With penalties now to decide the tie, and it all square at 4-4, Ada had an opportunity to put Foxton through after Fraser had saved Bassingbourn’s last kick, but the home keeper made the crucial save. Sudden death then followed, and unfortunately for Foxton, Evers had his kick saved which put Bass through to next round 9-8 on pens.

All in all, it was a disappointing start to 2020, with a terribly sub-standard performance, which left us crashing out of the cup. All focus now goes to the remaining league games, where hopefully we can have a strong finish and stay amongst the top sides.

MOM….Robert Gwynn